CHAT's Housing Programs

People in need of housing can apply directly for Housing Now (#1 below) and CHAMP (#3 below). Generally the other programs only take in people referred from other agencies. If you need housing immediately, call 211 and ask to be entered into their Coordinated Entry system.

If you own some rental property and would like CHAT to manage the property and rent it out to a qualified low-income individual or family, please contact our housing director at 530-520-6412.

If you have some property you can donate, lease, or sell for a tiny homes village, please contact

our acting Executive Administrator Leslie Johnson: 530-518-9992.

  • Housing Now. We rent rooms in houses or apartments to individuals and families at no more than 30% of their income, and we provide access to services.  We provide property management and maintenance for the residences that are leased through this program, and many properties become in better condition under our management than they were prior to being leased. This program covers the majority of the people we serve.

  • Hand Up Supportive Housing (HUSH). We rent homes to families at no more than 30% of their income and then we wrap them in supportive services and give them an opportunity to learn some life skills.

  • Redwood Housing. This program is in cooperation with Chico State University where we master-lease multi-bedroom houses and lease out the individual bedrooms to Chico State University students who are low-income or homeless. We do not take applications for this program directly. Students in need of emergency housing should contact the Chico State Basic Needs Project at CSU and may be referred to CHAT.

  • Tiny House Village Proposals. We're looking for land of an acre or more to create a community of low-cost affordable residences, like a tiny house village, Conestoga huts, cob houses, etc. Please contact Executive Director Leslie Johnson if you have some property to donate, lease, or sell: 530-518-9992.


​​About CHAT

  • Mission & Board

  • Inclusion and Diversity Statement

  • Financial Documents

  • Tenant Policies

  • Contact Us

  • Sign Up for Emails

  • Donate

​​Our Programs

  • If You Need Housing

  • Housing Now Program

  • HUSH Program

  • CHAMP (CampFire survivors) Program

  • Redwood Housing Program (CSU)

  • Tiny House Villages Program

  • Food Distribution Program

​Events List

  • Events Calendar

News & Resources

  • News Links

  • Blog

  • Newsletters

  • Resources


  • CHAT News Videos

  • Video Interviews



We are a regstered 501(c)(3) charity.
EIN: 46-5487014
Phone: 530-520-6412
Se habla espanol
Mailing address:
P.O. Box 4868
Chico, CA 95927
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
© 2019 by Chico Housing Action Team.